Cue The Who: The kids are alright. Lots of talk about the poor kids not being able to play outside and memes with kids escaping or having meltdowns. They’re going to be so upset… the truth is that the kids are quite alright! It’s the parents who are going crazy with this lockdown. I’m the one who’s going to be hitting myself in the head with a toy gun soon.
Maybe it’s just in my case – please I’d love to hear feedback from others – but my two little kids don’t seem to be bothered in the least that they’re home playing all day….in fact I think it’s going to be tough to take them out of the quarantine. School? Wait, what’s that?!
For sure the ones that are going crazy being stuck in the house are the parents. From time to time I silently put on my jacket and sneak out to “the outside” to buy bread at the gas station. I feel like a delinquent.
Two things that are keeping me sane during these times:
- Exercise. For years now I’ve been an outdoor runner since that’s really the easiest and fastest form of exercise with little kids. Cut to quarantine – I’m becoming a big fan of Hiit/Cardio videos on Youtube. When you’re given lemons, make lemonade. Some of my favorite channels that I’ve found so far, although really there are endless free ones:
- Yvette Bachman (https://www.youtube.com/user/YvettesTotalFitness) – these are great, but the most cardio-intense ones I’ve tried so far. Just a warning.
- PopSugar Fitness (https://www.youtube.com/user/popsugartvfit). There is a huge mix of types of workouts, trainers and class lengths.
- Sydney Cummings (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVQJZE_on7It_pEv6tn-jdA). She has free daily videos that are good workouts, but the downside is it’s not a class with other people, so you’re just watching her. The workouts are quite good though.
- All of these have a mix of cardio/Hiit/cardio kickboxing
- Music. The best way I’ve found to take a little breather and zone out mentally is with music. I’ve always liked music, but there’s something about it these days that helps to have that little bit of mental escape. (you can put on your headphones, turn up the volume and tune out screaming kids :)) The best I’ve found so far is this one: every day from 14-15h (Spain time) Bob Sinclar spins a streaming live awesome mix through his facebook channel. It’s great, if you like that kind of music. I’m still waiting for David Guetta to get into the mix. Definitely open to hearing any other suggestions or channels!
Keep calm. The end is near…